Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Old School Lane's Top 10 Podcast Episodes

Day 3 of our 5 year anniversary celebration now takes us from blog to podcasts. Back in November 12, 2012, Kevin and I wanted to have some more content on the Old School Lane blog that was simple and fun to produce since we were still limited on producing videos due to outdated computers and no knowledge on editing them. Since then, we've done close to 100 podcasts from Casual Chats, Turtle Talk, and Nick Jukebox. But which ones have been my favorites? Again, this was very tough to do since a lot of them have been fun. But then again, a lot of the earlier podcasts are so painful to listen to because Kevin and I had crappy microphones and the background noise and echoing is a lot more noticeable. So with that said, here are the podcasts I've had the most fun doing.

10. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 61: Good and Bad Reboots, Remakes, and Revivals


Around that time, recent reboots such as Ghostbusters 2016, the Powerpuff Girls reboot, the Ben 10 reboot, and Teen Titans Go! was reviled on the Internet, Manic Expression members Jim and Kyle, Re-Open Nickelodeon Studios founder Zac, and myself talked about the good ones to show the listeners that they do exist and are sometimes needed. Of course we did talk about the bad ones, but that wasn't our main focus. The point was that sometimes reboots, remakes, and revivals are needed because the originals can be retooled and be just as important and beloved.

9. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 64: The Carmen Sandiego Franchise


The beginning of the Carmen Sandiego Retrospective kicked off with RowdyC, That Long Haired Creepy Guy, Jockerlee77, Ingoyama70, and myself talking about the video games, game shows, and animated series. We had a lot of fun memories to share and lots of laughs when talking about Carmen's henchmen and the crazy over-the-top items they stole. Carmen Sandiego was a massive franchise from my childhood and I had a blast sharing it with them. For those who are asking, yes I will continue the retrospective next year.

8. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 58: Pee-wee's Big Holiday


This podcast felt like going back to my original roots of how Old School Lane got started. In this episode Jaimetud, Jim, Alex, and Inside Pee-wee's Playhouse author Caseen Gaines talked about the newest Pee-wee Herman movie in almost 30 years titled Pee-wee's Big Holiday. We briefly talked about Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Big Top Pee-wee, The Pee-wee Herman Show, and Pee-wee's Playhouse. Afterwards, we talked about the movie and some of us are very mixed on the overall film. Who knows at this point if Pee-wee will be relevant for the new generation, but for those who grew up with it still hopes that he can still be around after the movie. 

7. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 46: Tiny Toon Adventures



It was the 25th anniversary of Tiny Toon Adventures and Kevin and I talked about the shows from our favorite episodes, characters, and the movie How I Spent My Summer Vacation. We had so much fun talking about the show since it was one of our favorite cartoons of the 90's and a few people also posted their comments on Tiny Toons. We will definitely cover the other Spielberg cartoons in the future. 

6. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 37: All That


It was the 20th anniversary of All That so Manic Expression member The Cartoon Hero, For Entertainment's Sake co-founder John, and myself talked about our fond memories of the show as well as our favorite skits, cast members, and the controversial revival era. We had a lot of laughs about the skits and jokes that were featured in the show as well as talking about the so bad, it's good Good Burger movie. This podcast has become a favorite for a lot of people, including myself.

5. Old School Lane Casual Chats: Ghostbusters/Back to the Future



In the Ghostbusters podcast, Manic Expression founder James quoted saying "I can't think about Ghostbusters without Back to the Future". I can see why since they're both classic 80's comedies with memorable characters, sci-fi elements, and quotable lines. With the Ghostbusters podcast, it featured James, Alex, Klancy, Kevin, Gurning Chimp, and myself talking about the two movies, the two animated series, and the recent Ghostbusters video game. There was also the talk that Ghostbusters 3 was never going to happen since Harold Ramis had recently passed away and I even brought up the idea that the only way that Ghostbusters can come back to theaters is if they did a remake of it. Well, guess what? They did do a remake of it. I'm sure we'll do a podcast on it in the future.

As for the Back to the Future podcast, James, RowdyC, That Long Haired Creepy Guy, Alex, Martin, Kevin, Kevin's friend James, and myself talked about the movies and animated series. We went in depth with 3 of the movies, the animated series, the change of the rating system, the PG-13 and R-rated movies that were made into cartoons for kids, and why some people didn't want to see Ghostbusters or Back to the Future remade. It has been the longest podcast for over a year lasting for over 2 hours, but it will be replaced real soon with the upcoming Christmas podcast. 

4. How the 3 Original Nicktoons Influence Pop Culture w/Mathew Klickstein and Caseen Gaines


During 3 Original Nicktoons Month, I was doing podcasts about Doug, Rugrats, and The Ren & Stimpy Show and how much they became an influence. I did one on Casey and Ashli from The Friday Night Nicktoons Podcast about how much it influenced entertainment, but the one with Mathew and Caseen where we talked about how the Nicktoons influence pop culture was my favorite. Since Mathew and Caseen were pop culture enthusiasts who loved the Nicktoons, I thought it was perfect to have them as guests talking about this topic. I have had Mathew and Caseen in podcasts, but this was the first time that they've been together and hearing them talk was so fascinating. Even giving my 2 cents on the subject was fun as well. 

3. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 23: The Adventures of Pete & Pete


This podcast means a lot to me in multiple ways. It was the 20th anniversary of my favorite Nickelodeon live action show and it was the first podcast where I was recording podcasts on my sister's hand-me-down laptop as oppose to the old, bulky computer I was using for 2 years and would use it until a year later when I bought a brand new and updated laptop with my tax money. In this episode, Kevin, Alex, his brother Nick, and Jim talked about The Adventures of Pete & Pete, our favorite episodes, characters, and the soundtrack. This will be the oldest podcast that'll be on this list, but regardless, it's one that I have fondness for. 

2. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 40: Avatar: The Last Airbender


Now, let's talk about a podcast based on my favorite Nicktoon. It was the 10th anniversary of the critically acclaimed animated show and is tied with the most amount of guests next to the first Christmas podcast. In it, Jim, That Long Haired Creepy Guy, TheOtherDude92, John and Douglas from For Entertainment's Sake, Timdiana and his brother Patrick, The Cartoon Hero, Comic Book Cast member Joel, and myself talked about the show, the characters, the soundtrack, the settings, and the crappy movie. Because there were so many people with different personalities, it was such a blast with all of us talking about the show. There was so much to talk about that we went about it for about 2 hours. I'm sure in the future, there will be a podcast on The Legend of Korra. 

1. Old School Lane Casual Chats Episode 62: Metroid


It's no secret that I love the Metroid franchise. So when the 30th anniversary of Metroid was approaching, especially when Nintendo wasn't doing anything to celebrate it, I felt like I needed to show my love for these amazing games. In it, Jim, Lily from Dom and the Chapel of Church, and myself talked about the Metroid franchise from praising Super Metroid to bashing Metroid: Other M. It was also the same day that Another Metroid 2 Remake was released, so it was a fantastic day for Metroid fans. I had so much fun and felt so much happiness doing a podcast on my favorite video game franchise. 

That's it for now. Tune in next time as I go over my top 10 podcast interviews. Hope to see you around Old School Lane soon. Thanks for reading.

-Patricia




No comments:

Post a Comment